Ever get stuck in a writing rut? I know there are times when I just cannot get the creative juices flowing. Sometimes it helps to step out and try something different. Next time you need a creativity boost, try some of these on for size.
- People watch. Go out somewhere in public and just observe those around you. A park, the mall, a coffee shop. It doesn’t matter. Find a place you are drawn to and park it. You see so many things when you take a minute to stop and pay attention. Inspiration can be found all around you.
- Pick up a book. I love to read, and sometimes it helps me to just let go and read someone’s work. Choose poetry, short fiction, or even non-fiction and take a break to let your mind stretch and recharge.
- Listen to music. Put on your favorite tunes and just jam! Research indicates that listening to music makes us happier, which helps improve cognitive performance. I can definitely say that I seem to be much more inspired while I’m listening to music, and I write much more than normal. Give it a shot!
- Daydream. Studies say it works! Let your mind drift and see where it takes you.
- Get tired. As I wrote in a previous post, you are much more creative when you’re tired. Stay up late, let your mind get fuzzy, then put that pen to paper.
- Move your eyes bilaterally. According to one study, subjects who moved their eyes bilaterally from left to right were much more creative than those who stared straight ahead. The movement is said to increase communication between the right and left hemispheres of the brain, thereby increasing creativity.
- Write while emotional. A study in 2007 revealed that creativity receives a significant boost when emotions are running high. Next time you are very happy, angry, sad, etc, try to write and those emotions just might pay off.
What are some ways you boost your creativity? Feel free to share in the comments!